The windmill was erected in the middle of the 19th century in the Pabaži parish, around 60 km north to Riga in Vidzeme region of Latvia. In year 1936, the windmill was equipped with combustion engine as well, so that it could be operated not only by wind but also by fuel. In 1963 the work in the mill was stopped and the building was transported in parts to the Latvian Ethnographic Open-Air Museum situated in Riga. Pabazi windmill is a form of a special type of windmills, called Paltrock. It only appeared in the 17th century, namely in Germany and the Netherlands. The name refers to a woman costume, a long skirt called Pfalzrock (~ Pfalz skirt), especially representative to Pfalz region of Germany. The definition simply comes from the similiarity of the house of this windmill type to a long skirt. The windmill itself is a timber-frame construction with traditional carpentry joints which were later strenghtened by steel bolts. The wood types used in the windmill: conifers (pine and spruce) for the frame and casing, maple for cogwheels and oak for the shaft. To boost the efficiency of the grinding mill stones it is ultimately important at a windmill to have the possibility for turning the sails right against the wind independently to the exact direction of the airflow. The three-storied, weatherborded square millhouse could be turned in whole upon a stone base rolling around upon a stone conic base.
Features applied: Structure & View Selection / Infopoints & Infoboxes